Thursday, May 08, 2008

Antiwar Republican Walter Jones (NC) Wins Primary Challenge

"Walter Jones *, the Republican who changed the House cafeteria menu to replace French Fries with “Freedom Fries,” but later became one of the war’s staunchest critics, has been renominated to Congress. He faced a strong primary challenger supported by the White House. With 99% of the vote counted, Jones is winning 59.5% of the vote."

* When Stephanopoulos asked if his stand has "made life uncomfortable" for him, Jones replied:
"George, not really because you know what, I'm going to do what my heart tells me to do. And if that means it jeopardizes my being re-elected – I can always tell you that my daddy, who served for 26 years in the United States House of Representatives, always told me to vote my conscience first, my constituency second, and my party third."

No comments: